Friday, March 18, 2011

Take Time to Recharge


I'm going to suggest what might seem entirely unimaginable to a lot of people: go sans technology for a day. Turn your phone off, shut down your computer and unplug any other gadgets you use.

This idea came to me when I was without cell phone for some time after its unfortunate submersion in liquid. Of course, I panicked at first (NO TEXTING??). Then, I got used to it but still found myself complaining. Eventually, I realized how liberating it was to not have my phone in hand at all times. It's a bigger distraction than most probably realize, and I in a way I feel like it creates more responsibility for me. Phones, especially smart phones, pretty much cause their users to multitask at all times. This could be unknowingly stressful.

Don't ignore all technology in your life at the expense of a job or schoolwork. Pick a day when doing so just means not thinking about the petty, but constant, responsibilities that come with it. Relax with 24 hours to yourself. There's no need to be reachable 24/7 and actually communicating with other people for much of that time, and see if you can ignore the unnecessary distractions that come with the capabilities of technology. How often do you sit to watch TV or check your e-mail only out of habit then get consumed for a good chunk of time? Let yourself think without interruption.

Talk to people just for fun about things other than work or whatever is on your mind that’s causing stress. Take this time to do something you and friends always want to but are too exhausted or distracted to get done. Or do something on your own. Even if it’s just going for a walk, I guarantee this is an opportunity to clear you mind. So unplug everything and embrace it!

No comments:

Post a Comment