Friday, April 8, 2011

Become one with nature

Maybe that's a little dramatic. How about just enjoying or noticing it? This falls under the general stress relieving method that is distraction. Focus on something pretty about your surroundings, or take note of something interesting out there that you never took the time to appreciate before. If you're surrounded primarily by bricks, steel and cement, and wildlife to you is the occasional bird or maybe squirrel, step out of your element when you get the chance. Go somewhere where there's enough nature to get absorbed in, even briefly, that is actually serves as a pleasant distraction.

One of my friends and I take full advantage of our surroundings at school by going on walk on and around campus. Walking was initially the stress reliever in the situation. We reached points where we just wanted to get away from school work or out of the house, so walking was our solution to physically get us away from those things. Eventually, we realized one of the reasons our walks even work is because of what surrounds us. Our campus is on a steep hill in a pretty forested area at the south end and a more urban one at the north end. Believe me we've walked everywhere possible, and the more relaxing stroll usually immerse us in nature, not traffic and buildings. When we started appreciating the beauty of our surroundings, walking became even more enjoyable and stress relieving. When we pay attention, we usually notice something different out there, even when we take a typical route, or we notice a new path to take. Walking takes my mind off of daily stressors I have to address by letting me take in my surroundings. I wold regret not appreciating the nature on my campus if I graduated without taking advantage of it.

Another more dedicated way to enjoy nature is to go camping. I've gone camping with my family in the Boundary Waters on routes my dad mapped out forgetting we're not all pros at that kind of stuff... However, even my mom who was basically kind of irrationally concerned for our well-beings the whole time, we all sincerely appreciated the opportunity to experience being a part of those surroundings. It's a difficult scene to do  justice with a quick explanation. Despite the soreness that resulted from long portages, I'd say none of us felt any stress out there. An easier method might be getting a couple friends together and go to a lake for a weekend. Good company and the beauty of nature are a guaranteed stress reliever!

No comments:

Post a Comment