Friday, February 18, 2011

The perks of pets!

This is probably one of the stress relievers that comes with the most fun. Get a pet! (Dogs are my preference, but to each his own.) Check out one Newsweek article that describes some of the benefits:

"Pet ownership is good for your health both physically and psychologically," says Connecticut psychologist Herbert Nieburg, author of "Pet Loss: A Thoughtful Guide for Adults and Children" (HarperCollins).


I was never really too much of an animal person until a few years ago. When I left for college my family got a dog with the first couple weeks I was gone. Clearly I was easily replaced, right? But I've definitely come to love my replacement. She really does have a presence and, oddly enough to say, kind of a personality. The companionship she offers is obvious, especially when I watch my dad or brother interact with her. Even seeing other people love a dog is uplifting! It also feels great to get such an enthusiastic greeting every time I walk in a room and especially when I go back home on breaks. My dog has come to be one of the things I miss most when I'm at school, which is surprising of some who has never been an animal person and doesn't really take an unlikely sentiment to any kind of extreme.

In addition to some good company, pets offer a physical benefit, as mentioned in the Newsweek article. Just getting up and moving or exercising with a pet will improve your physical state. Playing with a pet is a good time and physical health perk. And, of course, when you feel good physically you'll feel better mentally and emotionally. Coming home from work to a pet ready to play or just lay on your feet is definitely a stress reliever after a long day.

Also, a WebMD article notes another important benefit to having a pet: they're date magnets! Dogs draw attention on walks, and pets are great conversation topics. A good date probably lets you feel the opposite of stress. So if a lacking love life is causing you stress, try using your pet to relieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment